Sunday, December 7, 2008

monopoly

Playing monopoly in class really did show how hard it is to move out of your social class. By the end of the game, each player was about where they started. Since moving to a higher class is so difficult, you probably have to go through extremes to get there. Both of my parents had grown up in an upper middle class like I am now. I didn't realize till I asked them, but it does show how classes tend to stay the same throughout generations. I'm not sure what class I see myself in in the future because I plan on doing something very different then my parents. In fact, among my sisters and I, we all are going a different path although we'd like to be successful at whatever we're doing. My oldest sister is an artist and has been trying to work her way up the ladder of art production, set design, murals. This profession doesn't have a set salary. You get paid job by job, which is very different than what my parents do. My other sister, Melissa, is studying to be a nurse. She would very much like to be successful at it, and is actually thinking about being a surgical nurse. Depending what kind of nursing job she'd like to do, may determine what "class" she is in. I'm thinking about foreign affairs nursing, or international development. So if I plan on traveling for an open amount of time, I might not even own a house.

2 comments:

a singer said...

I think you blog brings forth a great point reagarding profession choice and money relative to that decision. I the case of what you want to go into, you may not have much wealth,(what you own) but what you eanr may exceed most other professions. I think that whatever makes one happy should effect one, more, than how much money the job makes.
The monopoly game was very difficult, due to the fact that the lower-class people were so far in the hole that they had to go to extremes, just to make it to the next level. (As you stated)

Kasange said...

I agree - the monopoly game showed how hard it is to move out of your class. I stayed in poverty the whole time! Yeah and I hadn't really realized it but I am in the same economic situation that my parents had been in when they were my age. You never really think about it.